If you’re like many of the people I work with, you struggle with having a clear marketing and strategy for your business.
In fact, you might be thinking…
- “I don’t really know what marketing is!”
- “I don’t have time to do marketing stuff – I’m so busy as it is!”
- “I don’t need to do “marketing” – I’ll rely on word-of-mouth recommendations.”
I get it.
We business-builders tend to start our businesses because we’re really passionate about creating something, like unique jewelry, hand-poured coffee, beautiful dresses, luxurious skin creams – or providing a service out in the world, like coaching or counseling or therapy.
The trouble is, if people who want what we offer can’t find us, we’re not able to give it to them. Or better said, to SELL it to them.
How would it feel to:
- Have a clear understanding of what marketing actually does for your business? (Hint: it makes you $$$.)
- Have marketing systems and processes in place that save you bucketloads of time and effort?
- A waiting list of people who want to work with you, instead of being at the mercy of an uncontrollable cycle of feast or famine?
I’m guessing you think that would feel amazing.
If you agree, you’re going to love today’s topic and podcast: Marketing 101 For Startups.
This podcast is part of the Portland Radio Project’s Biz503 series, and I was thrilled to once again be a guest panelist. It’s so much fun because the hosts and my fellow panelists are, across the board, interesting people as passionate about entrepreneurship as I am.
In this episode, our hosts are Joe Barrett and Halley Gray, marketing maven + founder of Evolve + Succeed. (And my newest favorite person because she’s whip smart and funny.)
Our panel included these awesome guest experts:
- Christa King, founder of Fitlandia, an online holistic fitness startup
- Sean Harry, business advisor + instructor at Portland Community College’s Small Business Development Center and author of “The Best Little Marketing Plan: A simple workbook for building a great marketing strategy”
- Yours truly – Business Mentor, Startup Coach + Instructor, and the founder of She Gets Business, a virtual small group coaching program and community for women entrepreneurs 😉
It’s worth having a listen to this podcast, but if you’re a skimmer, here are the highlights:
- Marketing your business is connecting the dots between who you are, what you sell, and what your customer needs.
- An effective marketing plan starts with your customer, always. You need to know who they are, what they need or want, and how you solve their problems.
- A great way to validate the assumptions you have about your target market it through focus groups and surveying
- Your role as the CEO of your company is to set vision + direction and have a clear plan for profit. It is NOT to be an expert in all things! So when you need help – and you will need help – outsource!
To you and your business-building success!
Pssst! Need a little help?
Here are some of my favorite marketing resources that make a huge difference for my clients and students:
Graphic design so easy your grandma could do it:
Hiring project-based help easily + affordably (even as a one-woman shop!)
Your Target Customer – Understanding Who They Are / What They Need
- My super useful step-by-step guide: How To Find Your Dream Customers (And Make Them Freaking Love You)
You might also like: